Emerald City Muscle

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here at ECM, we welcome all types of vehicles. From track racing to drag racing, domestics to imports to exotics, We're about it all! The only catch is that we revolve around SPEED. If you like to go fast, consider this your new home!

+2
1200bruce
IROCDave
6 posters

What / who influenced you to be a gear head....

IROCDave

What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Empty What / who influenced you to be a gear head....

Post  IROCDave Wed May 04, 2011 8:38 pm

I say gear head becuase thats what guys I work with say I am. My opinion is that the guy calling me that couldnt wrench his way out of a paper bag.

Anyhow, back to the topic. Who or what sparked that part of your brain that made you want to work on stuff yourself and make things work faster / better? Made you want to have a faster car than the other guy and do the work yourself becuase you didnt trust anyone else?

For me, it started with my dad. When I was a kid he always talked about the cool cars he had and how fast they were. He glorified it in story telling. Chevelles, 396 El Camino, 55 - 57 Chev's with 327's, couple of Ford Galaxie verts, 340 Challenger with pistol grip shifter(I do remember that one, ugly green color) and many more.
    My dad never paid a mechanic to work on the cars, he always did it himself. He would try and recruit me our one of my brothers to help do the grunt work so we picked up wrenching at an early age.

The hook was my first day in HS. As I was riding my Redline into the parking lot I heard a couple of cars match revs then go at it on the street in front of the school.There were hundreds of people watching this take place.
    One was a primered 72 Camaro with a BBC, Hurst shifter mounted to a Muncie 4sp and 12 bolt with a chrome diff cover. This car was owned by the biggest stoners in school, dont remember his name.
    The other car was a late 60's lime green GTX with a 426 hemi and 4 speed. It was owned by Frank Bogan, his dad owned American River Auto Wreckers. Frank was a yuppie, class King and screwed half the senior girls that year. But he was really into fast cars.

How about you? What got you into cars?

1200bruce
    1200bruce

What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Empty Re: What / who influenced you to be a gear head....

Post  1200bruce Wed May 04, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm not really a gear head, I just love cars, from muscle to Miatas! bounce
    Backroad_Beast
    Backroad_Beast

What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Empty Re: What / who influenced you to be a gear head....

Post  Backroad_Beast Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm

My parents say when I was to young to talk I used to just start flipping out whenever I saw a nice car, never a junker. Don't know where that came from cause neither of my parents are really into cars. The love got more serious in 6th grade, which was the year that both "The Fast & The Furious" and "Gone in 60 Seconds" came out and when I got a subscription to Hot Rod Magazine which I read religiously for years. The deal was sealed in 8th grade though when I had to do a big class project (modeled after the Senior Project, for those of you that know what that is). I chose to do the project on the History of Hot Rodding. Part of the project was job shadowing someone in your field. I picked Bob Biehler, a local Hot Rod builder. Bob taught me everything, tricks of the trade, welding, pinstriping, told me all the old stories. Bob got me hooked on cars for life. If the pic works, the crazy show car (I think you'll know it when you see it) is called the Diffibralator. My personal favorite was the '32 Roadster named "The Dearborn Deuce," it was the car Bob was building when I was there and the '32 was already one of my favorite cars of all time. Bob built it for auction but by the time he had finished it he was in love and couldn't part with it. Can't say I blame him.
    What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Defibr11
    What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Dearbo10
    What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... The_ra10
    Backroad_Beast
    Backroad_Beast

Post  Backroad_Beast Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 pm

1200bruce wrote:I'm not really a gear head, I just love cars, from muscle to Miatas! bounce

I'm the same way. In fact my dad even has a Miata haha. It was fun to drift occasionally in high school, but now it's just way too small for my taste. To prove my point, I just dislocated my knee a few weeks back getting in to it to detail the interior for my dad. He needs to get a Mustang.
    g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Post  g3t_t0rk Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 am

This is a great thread! Hmmm... My first interest in cars, I guess started with my father as well. But it really didn't throw me over the edge. It just made me interested in cars because he'd always work on them. He had an old Gen 1 MR2 turbo and it was a piece of junk hence why he always worked on it. Eventually a time came where he had to get rid of it and then I completely forgot about the car scene. Then, I'm embarrassed to say, Fast and Furious hit the movie screen. I was still young but my sister's friends all had riced out Hondas. I thought it was the coolest thing. As soon as I got my first car (Honda Civic, go figure Rolling Eyes ) I bought every eBay product known to man. I was a complete ricer. Eventually I slowly grew out of it due to the influence of my friends with nicer cars. They basically set me straight. To keep up with their knowledge, I had to teach myself how a car worked just so I could participate in their conversations hahaha. Fast forward a bit and here I am now! I do all my own work but I've still yet to take apart an engine. I'm waiting for one of my cars to blow up so I can learn that on my own as well. I just hope it isn't the Viper! (knock on wood) Razz
    IROCDave

Post  IROCDave Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I had no idea the F & F movies actually got kids into cars, though it just sold alot of wings and stickers.
    When the first movie came out most guys that were into US cars hated it. It glorified wings, stickers and posers.

Now....you want to see a great car movie? Check out Smokey and the Bandit! Lol, I remember watching that on HBO in the late 70's. Didnt care for the car all that much, but the burnouts and coolness of Burt R stuck with me and morphed into what I thought was cool.
    Backroad_Beast
    Backroad_Beast

Post  Backroad_Beast Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm

IROCDave wrote:I had no idea the F & F movies actually got kids into cars, though it just sold alot of wings and stickers.
    When the first movie came out most guys that were into US cars hated it. It glorified wings, stickers and posers.

Now....you want to see a great car movie? Check out Smokey and the Bandit! Lol, I remember watching that on HBO in the late 70's. Didnt care for the car all that much, but the burnouts and coolness of Burt R stuck with me and morphed into what I thought was cool.

I gotta say the original F&F along with Gone in 60 Seconds, which came out in the same year, were both extremely influential for me. I'd kinda like to believe the two of them together balanced out my love for cars. F&F covered the Japanese scene, while Gone in 60 Seconds gave me the love for exotics, Europeans in general, and most of all American Muscle. After those two came out I moved on to the new Dukes of Hazard movie, which then led me to the original Dukes of Hazard series and later Smokey and the Bandit. This is why I have a love for absolutely all car scenes, but still heavily lean towards the muscle cars.
    IROCDave

Post  IROCDave Fri May 06, 2011 9:50 pm

The fact that the F & F movies got people interested in cars is fantastic. What I would find intersting though is if these same people will dig deep enough to find out some facts.

I am older than most of you guys, but not old enough to be stuck on cars made in the 60's. Dont get me wrong, if money was no object there would be Chevelles, 69 Camaro's, Cuda's and BB Corvettes in the garage.

How many of you know who was the first to mass produced the following technology and what model name was it installed in?

Small displacement V6 engines with turbo chargers.
    Fuel injection.
    Multi point fuel injection.
    Ditributorless ignition systems.
    4 speed automatic transmissions.

Backroad_Beast
    Backroad_Beast

Post  Backroad_Beast Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm thinking....
    V6 with Turbo: Buick Grand National
    Fuel Injection: 1957 Corvette
    MPFI: 1958 Chrysler DeSoto
    DIS: not sure
    4 Speed Auto: 1937 Oldsmobile/1938 Buick

Am I close on any of those?
    g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Post  g3t_t0rk Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 pm

GNX for the V6 turbo! Very Happy
    IROCDave

Post  IROCDave Sat May 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Guess I should have clarified digital fuel injection Very Happy
    Buick brought DFI, DIS and small displacemnt engines and turbo charging to the main stream in the early 80's. They were not that fast or reliable untill the mid 80's. Buick does not get credit for for this but it is what it is. I have met several guys with 10 second GNx's and also the more pedestrion T-Type's in the north end.

The import scene was built on this philosphy. I find it funny that they dont give credit where it is due. Not in Japan.
    Dusten
    Dusten

Post  Dusten Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am

It was my dad. As a kid we had a lifted f-150 before lifted trucks were cool, and he owned his own auto repair shop. I spent most of my evenings and weekends there watching him wrench on local circle track cars and a few drag cars.
    LS1PUNK
    LS1PUNK

Post  LS1PUNK Wed May 11, 2011 7:22 am

I use to hate working on cars till the day my brother got his Fox body.

I was 15 at the time and started looking at cars in a different view and had to choose what side I was gunna pick.

Ford or Chevy, I ALMOST bought a 1964 1/2 mustang with a straight 6 but one trip to Houston Raceway Park and I saw a clean IROC and started the hunt.

I couldnt find one that I approved of or afford at the time so to ebay I went. Picked up 1985 camaro 350 2 bolt main, edelbrock carb and 700R4.

Shortly after that I started building a 355 with AFR heads, comp cam, rebuilt the 700R4(waste of money), 3500 Stall, 3.73's and a 125 shot on top.

Swapped the old out for the new, went to the track the next weekend and ran 12.8 first time down the track.

Started learning how to launch the car and worked it down to a 12.1 at 114mph. I finally was comfortable with the car and decided it was time to spray it and see what it could do. Scared the shit out of me the first time I hit it but it was all down hill after that. Best pass so far was 11.3@123mph.

After that I got the car painted and some new wheels. Havent touched it since. Crying or Very sad

Here's a couple pics from awhile back.
    What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Photo-2
    What / who influenced you to be a gear head.... Newpaintandrims

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:51 pm