Emerald City Muscle

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here at ECM, we welcome all types of vehicles. From track racing to drag racing, domestics to imports to exotics, We're about it all! The only catch is that we revolve around SPEED. If you like to go fast, consider this your new home!

+2
TheElementalCashew
g3t_t0rk
6 posters

Lowering your car (In a performance perspective)

g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) Empty Lowering your car (In a performance perspective)

Post  g3t_t0rk Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

http://www.automedia.com/The_Downlow_of_Handling/dsm20030601h3/1

"Many think that the keys to good handling are super-low profile tires, stiff springs, rock-hard shocks, wrist-thick "sway" bars, and slammed-to-the-ground suspensions. "Many" are mistaken. Done haphazardly, these "improvements" can make a car SLOWER around a racetrack and punishing on the street.

Radical Lowering
    Let's start with radical lowering. It's easy to take the suspension out of its optimal operating range, which means the tires aren't level with the road during braking and cornering. Do we need to say that this hurts grip? Also, an over-lowered suspension will likely toe in or out as the wheels move over bumps and during cornering. This is called bump-steer. If bump-steer happens in the rear, it feels like you're driving a hook-and-ladder fire truck with an uncooperative trailer driver. In the front, it feels as if the steering has a mind of its own. Even worse is when the over-lowered suspension hits the limit of its travel during a hard corner. The suspension literally bangs into its bump stop. The spring rate at that corner goes toward infinity and the grip goes toward zero. If this happens to the rear suspension in a hard corner, the car will snap sideways. If the front hits its bump stop, the car will take off on a tangent as if you were swinging a rock on a string and suddenly let go. Either way, it's totally unpredictable for the driver. One of the worst things for a driver is a suspension that just barely taps the bump-stops every now and then—the car acts like it's demonically possessed and the poor driver can't figure out why.

Show or Go?
    Racers lower their cars to reduce the center of gravity, which can improve cornering. But then they raise suspension-mounting points and install completely redesigned components, so the suspension remains in its designed operating range. For the street, slammed suspensions are strictly for show, not go. - (I thought this was the most important part of this whole article.)

Total Package
    If you're determined to lower your suspension, buy a complete kit from an established tuner. Talk to someone who's installed the package. Stiffening suspension springs or anti-roll bars (often incorrectly called sway bars) REDUCE grip on that end of the car. The correct technique is to use as soft a spring/bar package as will do the job.

Tires
    Super-low profile tires are the automotive equivalent of spiked heels: Nice looking but not necessarily the best way to go fast. Sure, they improve responsiveness: how quickly the car reacts to steering input. But at-the-limit cornering-grip is determined by the rubber compound on the ground and the construction of the tire, not by the sidewall height. It's not hard to find 15-inch tires with more grip than 19-inchers. And super-low profile tires and wheels are prone to being cut or damaged by potholes. Some cars can be made to behave poorly simply by fitting a wheel/tire combo that's heavier than stock, or has a different offset or overall diameter. Match total weight, wheel offset, and overall diamter closely.

Modifying your suspension without the help of an expert is an excellent way to convert a good car into a piece of junk."
    TheElementalCashew
    TheElementalCashew

Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) Empty Re: Lowering your car (In a performance perspective)

Post  TheElementalCashew Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:58 am

So I just did coilovers on my GTO, and this is where it is sitting. Does this look slammed to you? The rears are set as low as they go, but is still about the same height as my sagging stock ones were. The front sits considerably lower than it used to, though not as low as it could go. The way it feels is stiffer than stock, yet not so much as to be bouncy and obnoxious, and cornering is phenomenal compared to stock. Thoughts?
    Before:
    Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) 3ef2ca10
    After:
    Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) Dscn0715
    TheElementalCashew
    TheElementalCashew

Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) Empty Re: Lowering your car (In a performance perspective)

Post  TheElementalCashew Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 am

Damn this forum and it's photo cropping! Evil or Very Mad
    g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Post  g3t_t0rk Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:05 am

TheElementalCashew wrote:Damn this forum and it's photo cropping! Evil or Very Mad

Haha I fixed it for ya
    g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Post  g3t_t0rk Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 am

TheElementalCashew wrote:So I just did coilovers on my GTO, and this is where it is sitting. Does this look slammed to you? The rears are set as low as they go, but is still about the same height as my sagging stock ones were. The front sits considerably lower than it used to, though not as low as it could go. The way it feels is stiffer than stock, yet not so much as to be bouncy and obnoxious, and cornering is phenomenal compared to stock. Thoughts?

"Stiffer suspensions keep more weight on the inside wheels. The weight transfer is less because body roll is less. You are also less likely to bottom out on the spring bumpers (with equal ride heights)." - quoted from another forum.

As long as you don't plan on tracking the car around the road course where you'll maximize grip, I don't see how you'll have a problem on the streets. If you are though, I'd redo your suspension and make it revolve around the track you frequently attend but that's a whole 'nother can of worms! Car doesn't look bad but in my honest opinion, I'd rock the before height (Is that stock? Looks lowered still haha). Looks to be about a 1 inch difference?
    TheElementalCashew
    TheElementalCashew

Post  TheElementalCashew Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:19 am

g3t_t0rk wrote:
    "Stiffer suspensions keep more weight on the inside wheels. The weight transfer is less because body roll is less. You are also less likely to bottom out on the spring bumpers (with equal ride heights)." - quoted from another forum.

As long as you don't plan on tracking the car around the road course where you'll maximize grip, I don't see how you'll have a problem on the streets. If you are though, I'd redo your suspension and make it revolve around the track you frequently attend but that's a whole 'nother can of worms! Car doesn't look bad but in my honest opinion, I'd rock the before height (Is that stock? Looks lowered still haha). Looks to be about a 1 inch difference?
    Yeah I don't track the car or even take it to the drag strip. It's my baby and is daily driven on the nicer days of the year, so I like a nice comfortable yet performance oriented ride. I was thinking of raising the back up a bit so I have more room for travel if I happen to hit the gas hard Very Happy
    1200bruce
    1200bruce

Post  1200bruce Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:07 am

Looks good not slammed! cheers
    Hector
    Hector

Post  Hector Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am

I like stance of GTO. No gap is good. Sunfire have very big gap.
    LS1PUNK
    LS1PUNK

Post  LS1PUNK Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:09 am

Hector wrote:I like stance of GTO. No gap is good. Sunfire have very big gap.
    A hefty Señorita will get rid of that gap
    g3t_t0rk
    g3t_t0rk
    Admin

Post  g3t_t0rk Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 am

LS1PUNK wrote:

lol! lol! lol!
    TheElementalCashew
    TheElementalCashew

Post  TheElementalCashew Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:15 am

LS1PUNK wrote:

affraid
    Hector
    Hector

Post  Hector Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm

LS1PUNK wrote:A hefty Señorita will get rid of that gap

Esta señorita es tan grande como me gusta

Lowering your car (In a performance perspective) 03210
    TheElementalCashew
    TheElementalCashew

Post  TheElementalCashew Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Now that's a different kind of hefty! Twisted Evil
    Jaredb909
    Jaredb909

Post  Jaredb909 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

when lowering your ride, to check your suspension geometry look at your a-arms, front and back depending if equipped with"irs" or not, most cars from factory will have those arms parallel with the ground which allows equal suspension travel "up" and "down". Your steering rack arms if equipped with a steering rack, needs to be parallel with the ground also. with everything parallel you shouldn't have any toe in or toe out or bump steer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:00 am